SaiGon “Veggie Venues” List
This is the list of locales in Ho Chi Minh City (SaiGon) that are either vegetarian or have a particularly large vegetarian section on their menu. If you see any out-of-date info, or have info that we could add to the list, please tell me in my blog comments or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or even in skype: glennskii, or in twitter: mc_glennskii . Thanks!
Restaurants/Eateries that are listed in green have been tried by me. (Although, sometimes I either forget to color them green, or don’t remember being at a particular place).
Phạm Ngũ Lãu Area: (nearly half of the locales in this ward of D1 will have, at least, a veggie page — usually with an English translation)
Ngoc Tho Vegetarian Food: 175/9 Phạm Ngũ Lãu Street
- I highly recommend this one.
- Big menu, decent prices, all-veggie.
Bu Đa Nguyên Thủy – 175/16 Phạm Ngũ Lãu Street
Green Food – 005 Lot A, 207 Bùi Viện Street
Dinh Y – 171B D Cống Quỳnh Street
Pháp Hoa– 200 Nguyễn Trãi Street
- Located across the park from Pham Ngu Lao St, a few doors from Central Park Office Bldg.
An Lạc Chay: 175/4 Phạm Ngũ Lãu Street
- “In the heart of the backpacker quarter, An Lac’s main clientele are travelers and local families. The restaurant prepares both Vietnamese and international cuisine and according to locals, An Lac’s pizza is most excellent.” — Vietnam Open Tour
Punjabi Indian Restaurant: 40 Bùi Viện Street
- not a strictly vegetarian place but there is a large vegetarian selection
- can recommend this place for a nice change of flavors
Sen (Quan Chay) Restaurant: 171 Nguyễn Thái Học Street
Sai Gon – The Spiritual Vegetarian: 138 Bùi Viện Street
- Easy to spot there , smack in the middle of the Pham Ngu Lao area
- I enjoyed the vegetarian spring rolls
- A good place to watch the people go by as you grab a bite
Cát Tường: 15 Bis Trần Khánh Dư Street
Zen: 185/30 Phạm Ngũ Lãu Street
- vietnamese, international
The Original Buddha Restaurant: 175/16 Phạm Ngũ Lãu Street
Saigon Vegan – (??) Bùi Viện Street
- just opened in Summer 2011
- moderate prices
- friend found the food to be “okay”. I will try this place soon.
Tin Nghia (Com Chay) – 9 Tran Hung Dao
- just on the edge of Pham Ngu Lao Ward
- haven’t tried this place yet
- when I walked by one afternoon, it was closed up, so I am not 100% sure that they are in operation.
Other Parts of District 1:
Thiên Nguyên (or called Thien Duyen Ben Thanh): 159 Calmette Street, Nguyễn Thái Bình Ward
- has and upstairs room you can use if you come with a group or if the ground floor is full
- menu includes english translations
- has veggie beer and regular beer
- prices moderate to moderately cheap
- service seemed to me “overly relaxed” when I was here, but otherwise, I can recommend this place
Van Canh Restaurant: 184 Calmette Street (?), Nguyễn Thái Bình Ward
Mandala: 110 Sương Nguyệt Ánh Street, Bến Thành Ward
- Tibetian/Vietnamese Vegetarian Fusion
- See Mandala’s Veggie Venue Blog Entry
- New place (as of May 2011). You should try it!
- Menu still in Vietnamese only right now, but they are preparing an english one
- You should be able to find a waiter to help you though.
- Moderate pricing. Good food!
- They have veggie beer as well as regular beer
- The soups are big, inexpensive, and delicious
- Possible group discounts and other discounts
- Choice of dining inside or out front
- Delivery is available by internet at http://www.eat.vn/en/hoakhai
- It is opened to deliver from 7:15 am to 10:00 pm everyday
- Not strictly vegetarian, but has a veggie section on the menu
ZanZBar Restaurant & Bar: 41 Đông Du Street, Bến Nghé Ward
- · Diagonally opposite Sheraton Hotel
- · Has modern casual-upscale feel with extensive range of international & Vietnamese cuisine
- · Plenty for vegetarians to choose from). — Wikitravel
Halal@Saigon: 31 Đông Du Street, Bến Nghé Ward
- Opposite the Indian Jamia Mosque, near Sheraton Hotel
- Vietnamese, Malaysian, Vegetarian
Giac Duyen – 16 Nguyễn Huy Tự Street, Đa Kao Ward
Hoa Dang – 38 Huỳnh Khương Ninh Street, Đa Kao Ward
. <please help me find some veggie venues for the people of D2!!>
Viet Chay: 339 Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa Street, Ward 7.
- · Next to the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda
- · http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2009/05/31/viet-chay-vegetarian-restaurant-in-saigon/
Huong Vien: 101 Vườn Chuối Street, Ward 4.
Giac Duc: 492 Nguyễn Đình Chiểu Street, Ward 4
- · (everyone raves about the sweet & sour soup and fake meats)
Saigon Vegan – 378/3 Võ Văn Tần Street, Ward 5
Quan Com Chay Van Duyen – 206 Nguyễn Thiện Thuật Street, Ward 3.
Tim Thanh Trai – 170C Võ Thị Sáu Street, Ward 8
- near Southern Womens Museum
Âu Lạc –60 Tân Vĩnh Street, Ward 6
- probably the best Com Chay in district 4!
- clean, spacious, affordable, plenty of meal options
- specials of the day downstairs on the wall menu
- large assortment of veggie and vegan products to buy and take home
- Upstairs is in a more restaurant style. The full-sized menu seems to be available more up there.
- Very crowded on special occasions like the full-moon/new-moon days of Buddhist vegetarianism
- see Veggie Venue 7 in the blog
- Also written as “Tiệm Cơm Chay Âu Lạc”
Huong Sen Tiem – (on Số 41 off of) Hoàng Diệu Street 243A/2, Ward 8
- A friendly, standard, inexpensive Com Chay
- See this restaurant’s Veggie Venue Blog Entry
Liên Hoa – 4 Chung cư ; Đoàn Văn Bơ Street, Ward 12
- Chinese, vietnamese
- House specialties include banh beo chay (steamed rice cakes) and banh bao chay (steamed buns).
- You can often find Monks dining here
- Probably my nr.2 Veggie place in District 4
- “Laid back” – Many days you might feel invisible or slightly unwelcome, but I like this place anyway.
Tâm Dức – 20/4 Nguyễn Trường Tộ, Ward 12
- A standard Com Chay located just off of Nguyễn Trường Tộ on a very short, unnamed side-street.
- This eatery is on a nice quiet side-street near the port – clean, quiet, and pleasant.
- The woman here speaks good english (used to live in Australia) and is very friendly.
- I haven’t eaten here yet, but will go very soon and then add to the info here.
Phap Quang – 31 Tôn Thất Thuyết Street; Ward 18
- a very standard, basic, and cheap Com Chay eatery. Undiscovered.
- Sometimes you might be hit with some V.I.P. treatment.
- Sometimes buddhist meeting DVDs are played on the TV (in VietNamese)
- See its Veggie Venue blog entry
“Âu Lạc” Co Ban Com Chay – B77 Xóm Chiếu Street; Ward 18
- This is a very standard looking Com Chay in a very busy little part of the district.
- This place is hidden away in the alley-like streets of Xom Chieu and Doan Van Bo.
- Don’t even think about getting here by car or taxi.
Tiem Com Chay “Hua Sen” – (?) Tôn Thất Thuyết Street; Ward 3
- a very standard and basic type Com Chay
- There is none cheaper than here, and the fake meat is piled on
- Fake meat prepared to a science.
- no street number is given. it’s located on channel side of street just East of Nguyen Khoai St.
- This place ties for my nr.2 Com Chay in district 4.
Hung Phuoc Tinh Vien Chay – 20 Nguyễn Khoái Street; Ward 2
- a more-a-less standard Com Chay
- they charged me twice as much as the other budget/basic places the first time I ate here.
- The price came down to nearly as cheap as the others when I returned
- Average or lower overall. Not a bargain compared to most standard Com Chay’s.
- I kinda like having the kitchen “in my lap” though. They cook around you.
- Some of the young guys who are often here, may sometimes understand a bit of english
Trang Sen – 50 Hoàng Diệu Street; Ward 12
- Slightly upscale.
- Wi-fi and air-conditioning (if they turn it on)
- I ate here 2 times: food really good, other aspects varied.
- I hope this place will make it. It seems quite new (when I tried it in Summer 2011)
- Open 7am to 10pm
Minh Phú – 2/5 Ngô Văn Sở Street, Ward 13
- A small and very standard, modest Com Chay
- Not above average food, but also as cheap as they come
- One middle-aged lady there spoke incredibly good English.
- They don’t seem to have much fake meat, they use a lot of okra-type vegetables.
- It seems that the specials (usually big soups/stews) that are out in front of the building are usually better than the standard dish they serve.
- This is a very short street, so is very easy to find once you’re on the street (even without an exact address).
- This street is nice and quiet. It’s dead-end street. You can “escape” from the noise and traffic over here. I do.
- Shouldn’t be a problem to order drinks from cafes next door (on both sides) — eating your meal in either place.
Cat Tuong Vegetarian – 369 Le Quang ?inh St.
- 200 meters from Le Quang Dinh & Nguyen Van Dau crossroads
- Chinese, Vietnamese
Com Chay Chan Phuong – 322 Cao Dat, Ward 1.
Tri Di – 17C/c Phan Ven Tri; Le Hong Phong
Tuong Vien – 58 Huynh Man Dat
Huoun Vien – 101 Duoung Vuon Chuoi
The Loving Hut – 242 Lê Văn Lương Street, Tân Hưng Ward (behind Lotte Mart)
- Prices average. Clean, nicely decorated.
- The staff are friendly and speaks some English.
Âu Lạc 2 – 530, Huỳnh Tấn Phát, Bình Thuận Ward
- Prices moderate. Clean. Like a modern cafeteria/eatery inside.
- pretty large selection, menu, and vegan products for sale
- this is the first sequel to the Âu Lạc in district 4
- See Veggie Venue Blog Entry
- Location on Diadiem Map Site
Thiện Tâm – 389 Sư Vạn Hạnh Street, Ward 2
- moderate prices, large menu, friendly service
- air conditioned
- seems to be a relatively popular restaurant and I can recommend it
- please see “Veggie Venue nr.8” blog entry
- menu has english translations
Thanh Luong – 545A “3 Tháng 2” Street, Ward 8
- small menu, good food
- lemongrass tofu and bean curd are recommended by bloggers
Phu Nhuan District:
Com Chay Thuyen Vien – 13 Nguyễn Văn Đậu, Ward 5
Com Chay 27 – 27 Phan Xich Long, Ward 2.
- Chinese, Vietnamese
(a vegetarian buffet) – 142, Phan Đăng Lưu, Ward 3.
Binh Thanh District:
Thanh Phuong – 225 Thích Quảng Đức Street, Ward 5.
Hien Dat – 119/1 Nguyễn Văn Đậu Street, Ward 5.
Âu Lạc Healthy World – 237 Xô Viết Nghệ Tĩnh Street, Ward 17.
- Somewhat upscale Vegan
Quan Com Chay – 51 Nguyễn Văn Đậu Street, Ward 6.
Hoa Sen – 74 Duoung
Thien Y – 36 Tran Quy Cap, Ward 11.
- see veggie venue #7
Tân Bình District
Đóa Sen – 154, Bắc Hải, Ward 6
- moderate pricing, big menu, popular locale.
- nice compromise between a restaurant feel and a cafeteria/eatery feel
And Some Hints:
- The chain food-bar “Pho 2000″ has a Veggie Curry.
- See the “Viet-Veggie Words and Phrases” tab on this site
- You can usually count on the Indian reastaurants (e.g. Cafe India, 250 Bui Vien; Little India, 121 Bui Vien, and many others.)
- If you go to “Pro Kebab” in the Pham Ngu Lao area, you can get a great rollo without meat for a lesser price than the listed kebab rollos — just explain yourself well. And it’s open 24 hours!
- If you don’t know where to go, then hit the Pham Ngu Lao Area and you will have plenty of choices – all by foot from one-another. This area is made up mostly of the streets of Pham Ngu Lao, Bui Vien, De Tham, as well as their alleyways and unnamed side-streets.
And finally, for when you’re in Hanoi – Loving Hut – 420 Nguyen Van Cu, Long Bien Hanoi,Vietnam. It is supposedly the largest vegan restaurant in the world. If anyone can tell me about it, please drop me an e-mail. http://www.lovinghut.com/
<Please remember that this list is constantly under construction>
- More locales are being added every now and then…
- Do you know of a venue we could add here? Please tell us about it!